Epson BrightLink 450wi Interactive
The Epson BrightLink 450wi was awarded the Outstanding Projector 2010 Award in our annual Classroom Projector Comparison Report -May 2010.
Update 6-30-11: We recently reviewed the Epson BrightLink 455wi, the replacement for this 450wi. Click here to read the projector review of the new Epson projector, which, like the BrightLink 450wi, received our Best In Classroom award, in this year's Classroom Projector Comparison Report.
March 2010 - Anthony Arrigo
Epson BrightLink 450wi Projector Overview
The Epson BrightLink 450wi Interactive projector was designed from the ground up to be easy to install, easy to configure and above all else, value priced. It produces a respectable 2500 lumens of brightness and a decent contrast ratio of 2000:1. The 450wi has a native resolution of 1280x800 so it is a 16:10 aspect ratio projector. The BrightLink 450i is the XGA(1024x768) version. All the same features, just a different native resolution and it has an aspect ratio of 4:3. Although not your typical whiteboard where one must use a special screen that connects to the projector, the BrightLink has many of the features of the conventional whiteboard with the freedom to use just about any surface you want. The BrightLink 450wi is an ultra short throw projector that mounts above the screen for a virtually shadow free presentation.
The BrightLink is also very capable in terms of the signals it can accept. It can receive just about any type of signal minus true digital HDMI or DVI. Connectivity is one of the key components that stood out the most with this interactive projector. The BrightLink is completely networkable via a LAN port or you can purchase an optional wireless module for wireless networking.
The design of the projector is well thought out and Epson really took the time it seems to make the 450wi not only a value priced projector in terms of initial purchase, but also in the area of maintenance. Everything is within easy reach and no taking down of the projector is required to change lamps or maintain filters. The warranty is typical of Epson, being 2 years parts and labor with overnight replacement. A third year is available through for the education market when you purchase from an authorized dealer that is part of Epson's Brighter Futures program.
The interactive software that comes with the projector was very easy to figure out. Control of the interactive mouse and whiteboard functionality is done via a very well designed pen that communicates with the projector by infra-red. The projector also comes with a full featured remote that is also a wireless mouse and pointer. Below you will find some basic specifications and some highlights. Read on for a more in-depth review of the Epson BrightLink 450wi interactive projector.
Epson BrightLink 450wi Projector Highlights
• Interactive Whiteboard Capabilities
• Full featured remote with Remote Mousing capability
• Fairly bright at 2500 lumens
• Lamp life up to 3500 hours (ECO Mode) 2500 Hours (Normal Mode).
• Up to 96 inch wide diagonal image
Epson BrightLink 450wi Projector Special Features
• Able to project on different color surfaces because of Color Mode feature
• Easy to use interactive software tools
• Ships with rechargeable batteries and charger
• Two pens supplied for multiple presenters
Specs for the Epson BrightLink 450wi
View the full specifications of the Epson BrightLink 450wi
• Brightness: 2500 Lumens brightness (normal mode) 1740 Lumens (ECO-mode)
• Native Resolution: XGA(1280x800) - supports up to 1680x1050(WSXGA+)
• Dimensions: 6.1”H, 19”W, 14.5”D
• Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
• Projected Area: 59”-96” diagonal
• Projection System: Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine
• Weight: 14 lbs. with slide plate - 12.9 lbs. without.
• Sound: 10 Watt Speaker
• Aspect Ratio: 16:10
• Color: 16.77 Million Colors
• Projection Technology: Poly-silicon TFT active matrix
• Warranty: 3-year limited warranty. Normally two years but you get a extra year through Epson's Brighter Futures program.