Epson BrightLink 455wi Interactive
May 2011 - Anthony Arrigo
Epson BrightLink 455wi Projector Overview
Epson has introduced its latest interactive projector, the Epson BrightLink 455wi. Some of you might be familiar with Epson's BrightLink 450wi and this projector is very similar but with some really interesting new features that really make it stand apart from the competition. The 455wi is a wide XGA projector with a resolution of 1280x800. It produces an image that has an aspect ratio of 16:10. The BrightLink 455wi is rated at 2500 Lumens of brightness which is definitely bright enough for the most demanding environments. We will get into more details about brightness in the performance section of this review.
I have to say this projector is pretty impressive. Not only in what it can do, but also in all the other aspects that Epson thought about when it comes to using projection technology in the area of education. All the many accessories that you can purchase to compliment the projector really made it stand out. Although, I should mention they give you plenty of accessories right out of the box. The projector features a very unique ability to project an image onto a table. Provided you purchase a special mount. Imagine interacting with the computer while students surround the video image. The projector comes with two interactive pens so you can draw and annotate over the image and control standard computer functions just like you would with a standard mouse.
The BrightLink is also packed with inputs so just about any type of signal can be read by the projector. The BrightLink is networkable by way of a LAN port. If you want to go completely wireless, you can purchase a seperate module for wireless connectivity.
The BrightLink 455wi is well designed and Epson really did a nice job creating a very aesthetically pleasing projector that is also very affordable. I should mention that the projector comes with the ceiling mount. So no need to spend time trying to figure out what mount would work best. The 455wi is actually capable of projecting a 96" diagonal image from just 24 inches back.
Another plus is everything is within easy reach and no taking down of the projector is required to change lamps or maintain filters. The warranty is typical of Epson, being 2 years parts and labor with overnight replacement. A third year is available for the education market when you purchase from an authorized dealer that is part of Epson's Brighter Futures program.
The interactive software that comes with the projector was actually very intuitive and easy to figure out. Having used a few interactive projectors, I can tell you that some are not all that straightforward, so it is always nice to come across one that is easy to use. Control of the interactive mouse and whiteboard functionality is done via a very well designed pen that communicates with the projector by infra-red. The projector comes with a full featured remote that is also a wireless mouse and pointer. Below you will find some basic specifications and some highlights. Read on for a more in-depth review of the Epson BrightLink 455wi interactive projector.
Epson BrightLink 455wi Projector Highlights
• Interactive Whiteboard capabilities
• Fairly bright at 2500 Lumens
• Full featured remote with Remote Mousing capability
• Lamp life up to 3500 hours (ECO Mode) 2500 Hours (Normal Mode).
• Up to 96 inch wide diagonal image from 24 inches away
Epson BrightLink 455wi Projector Special Features
• Able to project on different color surfaces because of Color Mode feature
• Ability to project onto a table surface
• Easy to use interactive software tools
• Ships with rechargeable batteries and charger
• Two pens supplied for multiple presenters
Specs for the Epson BrightLink 455wi
View the full specifications of the Epson BrightLink 455wi
• Brightness: 2500 Lumens brightness (normal mode) 1740 Lumens (ECO-mode)
• Native Resolution: XGA(1280x800) - supports up to 1680x1050(WSXGA+)
• Dimensions: 6.1”H, 19”W, 14.5”D
• Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
• Projected Area: 59”-96” diagonal
• Projection System: Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine
• Weight: 14 lbs. with slide plate - 12.9 lbs. without.
• Sound: 12 Watt Speaker
• Aspect Ratio: 16:10
• Color: 16.77 Million Colors
• Projection Technology: Poly-silicon TFT active matrix
• Warranty: 3-year limited warranty. Normally two years but you get a extra year through Epson's Brighter Futures program.