For those who do not know:
It’s Slickdeals.net. Slickdeals is a site that is based on deals found by people like you/us. We find an amazing deal, buy it before someone else can, then go and post it on Slickdeals to share the savings. There are other sites like it, but none come close to the amount of posts, and deals available. Some people use Google to find the best price on a specific item, and it is perfect for that sole purpose. Slickdealers also offer a wealth of knowledge on products, which will help you in deciding what product would most suit your needs. Fat Wallet is a similar site, but I find it lacking. It has a smaller base, and I find the deals are usually on Slickdeals before they hit Fat Wallet. Here are some pointers I have for using Slickdeals:
1. If it is something you KNOW you want, NEVER hesitate on a great deal. It might be sold out in the time you sit there staring at the screen trying to make up your mind.
2. Always make sure the site is a reputable site. I would recommend Googling any site you have not heard of before, or checking the feedback on a site like ResellerRatings.com.
3. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Whether it is a price mistake that won’t be honored, or a scam. Sometimes you will take a risk and it will payoff, but that is at your own discretion.
4. The number one rule of Slickdeals on a possible in-store price mistake, or a clearance item is DO NOT CALL…EVER. If you call, then that gives the employees of the store a heads up and they can hide the item to purchase it for themselves. Always check the stock online, and head directly to the store.
5. If it is an amazing in-store deal, always get to the store early. As the saying goes, the early bird gets the deal…or something like that.
6. If you are not sure if you need it, but the deal is amazing and you have the extra money…BUY IT! If purchased from a big retail store like Best Buy, you can always return it for a refund if you change your mind. If you don’t, then you may kick yourself later for passing up the deal of the century.
You can find great deals on projectors, video games, computers, computer parts, video game consoles, lingerie, and cameras. You name it, there’s probably a great deal posted by a fellow Slickdealer. If you are buying a projector, then be sure to check the review on ProjectorReviews.com before you buy it. That’s the only projector review site that matters, and I am not just saying that because this is where I blog. If you look at the other projector review sites, they just seem a bit bland.
I can’t tell you how many times people have told me they just purchased an item, and then they tell me the price. I am usually shocked by how much they paid. The first words out of my mouth are, “Did you look on Slickdeals.com before heading out to the store?” And can you guess what there answer is? They usually ended up paying hundreds of dollars more than they needed too. It must be nice to be able to spend that frivolously. Here is an example of some deals I have got from being a Slickdeal junkie:
LG 47LH30 47″ LCD HDTV at Frys.com for $399.00
Gateway Windows 7 laptop with i5 processor, Blu-ray drive, 6GB memory, 640GB hard drive, HDMI, etc. for $499.00. And that was at the end of 2009!
Planar PD7130 720p home theater projector MSRP of $3,999.00 for $605 shipped.
GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX motherboard + Phenom II 840 processor: $49.99+tax (after rebate)
Klipsch Icon VB15 Bookshelf speaker pair for $99.88, MSRP of $299.
PLANAR PX2710MW 27″ Wide Screen LCD Monitor with Speakers $205
You may even be able to find better deals, who knows. That is the charm of Slickdeals; you never know what you are going to find there! On top of the deals, there are several forums on other topics; such as finance, gaming, tech support, coupons, and even politics. If you find an awesome deal leave a comment about it, I’d like to know I saved some of you a few shekels.
I picked up a Vivitek Qumi pico projector from Art, review coming soon! See you next blog!
- Ebenezer Stooge